Tuesday, January 29, 2013

1 Month

I am a little behind on my updates of Harper, but I want to make sure I get things written down.  Not only do I want to look back and read this (and I know people in my family want to read it), but I want Harper to be able to look back at this years from now (especially since I am completely pathetic with any kind of baby book, journal, or scrapbook).

Harper,
You have brought so much joy into our home.  I never knew we had anything missing until you came into our lives.  I never knew I could love someone so quickly and fully in such a small amount of time.  I used to hear people say these types of things all the time, but it is something you don't ever fully understand until you have a child of your own.
You have your Daddy completely wrapped around your tiny finger.  He cannot get enough of you.  He loves to watch you no matter what you are doing.  He is so gentle and patient with you and always wants to keep you happy.  He is infatuated with every tiny bit of you.  I had to go back to work for a few days when you were just four weeks old.  I only had three and a half days before winter break and I knew you would be happy with Daddy.  One of the first days I was back at work, I called in the afternoon to see how everything was going.  Daddy had taken you out for the first time by himself.  You were going shopping with Daddy and Nana.  He told me he had put your little red Christmas dress on and made sure to put the matching red bow in your hair.  I never imagined Dad would care or even remember to put a bow in your hair, but he wanted to take extra special care of his little girl.
You are very attached to your Mommy, and I must say I truly love this about you.  You knew my voice the second the doctor put you in my arms at the hospital.  You get a little fussy at night sometimes when you are tired and I am often the only one you want to hold you.  The second you are in my arms you are instantly calmed.  I love to look into your big blue eyes and hold onto your long skinny fingers.
You have the cutest little feet Daddy and I have ever seen.  They are long and skinny, followed by the longest toes.  We are pretty sure you will be able to play the piano with those long toes.  You are such a long and lean little baby.  You have little chicken legs that haven't gained an ounce of chub since you were born.  You love to pucker your lips and keep them that way for several minutes.  Dad and I laugh hysterically at this face you make.  You are such a mover.  You are constantly moving your arms and legs.  When you were in my tummy, you were constantly kicking and punching.  The doctor would always comment on how active you were.  Now we know why... You are never holding still.  Even when you are sleeping you are often found with your hands up in the air or your arm over your face.  You sleep just like Dad.  When your hands aren't moving around, they are always tucked up by your face.  You love your hands and often have them in your mouth or folded neatly on your cheek.  You pose perfectly with your hands all day long until I get the camera out... Then I get nothing but flailing arms.
We often wonder if you will be an inquisitive little girl.  You often have a furrowed brow and look deep in thought.  You love to stare at things for long periods of time to take everything in, especially the dresses on your bumper pads that Gigi made you.  You stare at the bright colors of dresses for a long time before you drift off to sleep.
You look like both Mom and Dad, and it changes everyday.  We always wonder who you will look more like when you get older, what color your eyes will be, and what color your hair will be.  Your left ear is a crinkle ear (a trait from the Munson side of the family) and we always wonder whether or not it will uncrinkle.  We call you our little peanut and wonder everyday if it is possible to kiss your cheeks right off.
When we took you to the doctor for your one month appointment, your stats were:
Weight: 8 lbs 3 oz (17th percentile)
Height: 21.5 in (64th percentile)
Head Circumference: 37.5 cm (76th percentile)

The doctor did not like how little weight you have gained.  At your two week checkup, you weighed 7 lbs 8 oz.  In the first month, they like babies to gain an ounce a day, but you had only gained half an ounce a day.  The doctor was worried you weren't getting enough milk, but I knew you were much too happy for that to be the case.  You are just our skinny little baby who will grow and get some chub when she is ready.
You are the happiest little baby and we are so grateful you came to our family.  We love you little miss Harper!
















No comments:

Post a Comment